Until the iPhone X (pronounced as /tɛn/) released in early November, the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are going to be occupying the smartphone throne and, of course, many of us will want to put our hands on it and enjoy the latest and greatest device which has just been announced a week ago. If you haven’t made your pre-orders yet, you might want to know what’s the best offer on the market so far. You can take a look at another article of ours from last week (also links to BIG 4 pre-order pages) to compare with the current article that you are reading now.
A Brief Look of Offers From Big 4
AT&T BOGO Deal
A lot of people have been trying to find the official announcement for the iPhone 8 BOGO deal from AT&T but claimed that they couldn’t find it. In fact, AT&T already put the announcement online. It is called the “Poular smartphone BOGO” which offers up to $700 credits that will be applied to your monthly bill. There are strings attached of course. Let’s list them as follows,
1) iPhone Combo (Max credit $700): Must buy each iPhone 8 64 GB ($699.99) on 0% APR AT&T Next (30 mos. at $23.34/mo.) or AT&T Next Every Year (24 mos. at $29.17/mo.)
2) After all credits, get iPhone 8 64GB for free
3) Max credit may be applied towards other eligible iPhone 8/8 Plus models priced up to $950, which will be discounted but not free
4) Require Wireless: minimum 1st line $50/mo; 2nd line $20/mo.
5) Require DIRECTV service minimun $29.99/mo.
So … if you wanna get a FREE iPhone 8 from AT&T, you will need to have 2 lines having monthly service from AT&T. Also, you will need to buy DIRECTV service (minimum $29.99/mo) as well.
Sprint BOGO Deal
Sprint’s iPhone 8 BOGO deal doesn’t require you to have 2 lines but it requires a trade-in to have you qualified. The requirements for the iPhone 8 BOGO deal are listed below,
1) Must be on (or join) Sprint Flex Leasing Program
2) Trade-in an eligible device (iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8, Samsung Galaxy S8+ and Samsung Galaxy Note8)
3) iPhone 8 64GB $0/mo after $29.17/mo bill credit with 18-mo Sprint lease for well-qualified customer with new line activation. Credit applied within 2 bills. If you cancel full balance due. Excludes taxes. Customer must own trade-in.
*) You can apply your monthly credits towards to an iPhone 8 Plus as well – iPhone 8 Plus 64GB $4.17/mo after $29.17/mo bill credit with 18-mo lease.
**) This offer includes iPhone Forever: Upgrade to the latest iPhone every year after 12 lease payments.
Which One Is Better?
Well… If you want to have a DIRECTV service and need 2 lines… AT&T is a better fit. However, if you don’t, it’s not a deal at all because you will end up paying the DIRECTV service for $719.76 ($29.99 * 24 months) since you will need to remain active on both wireless lines and DirecTV service for 24 months.
Sprint offers a better deal since you only need to pay $175.02 ($29.17 * 6 months) to own a brand new iPhone 8 if you trade-in an eligible device. Let’s say you have a used iPhone 7 (32GB). You can sell it on eBay for about $350. Therefore, if you wanna just sell your used iPhone 7 and purchase a new one, you will need to shave another 350 bucks to own it. However, if you go with Sprint’s current BOGO deal, you will only need to pay $175.02 to own a brand new iPhone 8. Of course, if you want to upgrade to another new device after 18 months of lease with Sprint, you don’t even need to pay a penny for your iPhone 8. And … believe us, you will wanna upgrade to another device so … most likely, you won’t pay a penny for it. But you can have your options open to see that if you want to own it after 18 months or not. If you want, you can just pay less than 180 bucks to own it.
So … Sprint offers a better deal if you have good Sprint coverage in your area. Let’s list how much you need to shave upfront and by the end of the deal for both offers below (we are NOT discussing the wireless monthly payment… only for the devices and hidden charges here),
1) $1,399.98 (plus tax) – 2 phones
2) $719.76 extra money on DirecTV service after 24 months
Total in 24 months – $2,119.74 (for two iPhone 8 devices)
1) $350 – since you could have sold it (let’s use 32GB iPhone 7 as an example here) on eBay
2) $175.02 – let’s assume that you would like to own it and pay for another 6 months lease fee after 18 months lease
Total in 24 months – $525.02 (for one iPhone 8 device)